When to Call the IRS for Tax Help

IRS Programs That Can Help You Get Back On Track With Payments

(WatchDogReport.org) – Trying to figure out your taxes can be confusing sometimes. And when taxes get a little complicated, let’s be honest, we all know we don’t always get it 100% right. You may find that you end up owing money to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service).

Ignoring the IRS is never a good idea. Not paying owed taxes can lead to delinquency, garnished wages, penalties, fees, and more. But you don’t need to panic. The IRS offers lots of ways to help taxpayers get back on the right track.

For Taxpayers Who Can Pay Now

The IRS offers several easy and convenient ways for taxpayers to pay their taxes. A few of the options they offer are:

If none of these options work for you, there are lots of other ways taxpayers can pay the taxes they owe to the IRS.

For Taxpayers Who Cannot Pay Now

Paying your taxes in full may not always be financially possible for some taxpayers. If you find yourself in this kind of situation, don’t worry. The IRS does offer payment alternatives.

  • Offer In Compromise – This is basically an agreement between the taxpayer and the IRS to settle their tax debt for less than the full amount that they actually owe. However, not everyone qualifies for this option, so the IRS suggests taxpayers use their Offer in Compromise Pre-Qualifier to see whether it may be right for them.
  • Short-term Payment Plan – Taxpayers can ask the IRS for a short-term payment plan for up to 120 days.
  • Long-Term Payment Plan – Taxpayers can also ask for a long-term payment plan with payments due monthly. However, a $149 user fee applies to monthly payment plans or installment agreements, which can be reduced to $31 if payments are made by direct debit.

Keep in mind that individual taxpayers who owe more than $50,000 and businesses that owe more than $25,000 have to submit a financial statement to the IRS with their request for a payment plan.

The bottom line is that if you or someone you know needs help with your tax situation, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the IRS. They can help. You can contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 or call the phone number on your notice with any questions you may have, or to discuss other options. You can also visit IRS.gov for lots of links to helpful tax information and access to tools that can help taxpayers.

Copyright 2022, WatchDogReport.org