Mother Faces New Charges after Brain Damaged Baby Dies

( – Sarah Ngaba was sentenced to 14 years in jail in May of 2021 for assaulting her 7-week-old daughter in November of 2019. Ngaba waited for two hours before seeking medical help for the baby named Eliza. When she finally took Eliza to the hospital, she lied about how the infant sustained injuries that caused her to be “floppy and unresponsive”. Medical personnel determined the baby’s injuries were consistent with physical abuse. It was determined that the attack on the infant caused a permanent disability that would leave her completely dependent upon others for the rest of her life.

Ngaba, originally from Telford, Shropshire, did admit to striking the infant but claims she did not mean to injure her. Ngaba was found guilty of “causing grievous bodily harm with intent”. At the time of Ngaba’s sentencing, Detective Inspector of the West Mercia Police, Jo Whitehead, stated that Ngaba’s behavior was the “exact opposite” of that of a caring mother.

Warren Stanier, of Crown Protection Service, said that Ngaba changed her story multiple times and tried to blame the baby’s father. The father was not present at the time of the attack.

It has recently been discovered that the baby, Eliza, died on August 15, 2022, at the age of two. She had cerebral palsy and had been admitted to the Princess Royal Hospital on August 11th with pneumonia and COVID. Heath Westerman, Shropshire and Telford deputy coroner, says he was told that Eliza died with “traumatic brain injury”.

West Mercia Police have confirmed that detectives are reviewing the case since they have been made aware of the child’s death. A representative from the police force has stated there will be “further enquiries” into the case to determine if further action is required.

Ngaba was 27 years old in 2021 when she was jailed and has been serving her 14-year sentence at Stafford Crown Court.

An inquest into Eliza’s death is scheduled for December 14, 2023.

Copyright 2023,